On Friday, we celebrated Isabella’s Summer Birthday in school! She was so excited because although she has birthday parties every year, this was her first time doing an in school celebration. We got to visit her class in the morning and read a book to the class and she was able to bring in a treat for all of the kids to have at lunch. We decided on Brownie Cupcakes…with a twist! I love to make healthier versions of favorite treats that are still delicious. Our Zucchini Brownie Cupcakes are delicious!
Isabella has recently become obsessed with cooking competition shows (wonder where she gets that from?!) Chopped, Chopped Junior , The Spring Baking Championship, Cupcake Wars. She loves any and all of them. She decided that she wanted to make ” zucchini brownie cupcakes with a chocolate ganache filling”. Ok, I admit this seemed like a bit much at first! As much as I love to cook, I don’t love baking. But , every year for her birthday I bake whatever she wants. Her reasoning for the zucchini was that it makes the cake moist and she’s right! Plus, it’s always a good thing when we can get more veggies into our kids. Who doesn’t love that? We make black bean brownies all the time, but this was the first time we were incorporating zucchini. And , I have to say, they were delicious! Isabella was involved in every step of the process, from ingredients to the prep, to the baking. She is developing a real appreciation and love of food and cooking. Kids will eat what they cook. It’s such a great opportunity to expose them to healthier ingredients and things they may not be open to trying before. And I really love spending this time together in the kitchen.
She reported back that all of the kids loved the brownie cupcakes and couldn’t believe there was actually zucchini in them! Healthier can be delicious too!
- 1 cup Shredded Zucchini ( I used a food processor to make it super quick and easy)
- 2/3 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 2 Cups Water
- 3/4 cup Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Chocolate Protein Powder
- 1 1/5 cups unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 16 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 16 ounces Heavy Whipping Cream
- Fresh Raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line muffin pans with paper cupcake wrappers
- Combine Dry ingredients and set aside.
- Combine all wet ingredients together in a stand mixer or with a handheld mixer.
- Incorporate the wet and dry ingredients and mix until well combined, about 3-4 minutes
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (Oven temps vary. Test at 20 minutes by inserting a toothpick into the middle. If it comes out clean, they are done!)
- Allow cupcakes to cool.
- Heat the heavy cream until hot. Stir in the chocolate until smooth and creamy.