Yesterday was one of those days where I just wanted dinner to magically cook itself. The chicken fajitas I had planned seemed like too much work. But, what to do with the defrosted chicken and to avoid the temptation of take out? I remembered that I had received a jar of Calcutta Kitchens Simmer Sauce in my Nextdoorganics CSA a couple of weeks ago. I love Indian Food , but I generally don’t like to use pre made sauces or marinades because you can’t control the ingredients. But these simmer sauces have pure, simple ingredients and are all natural, vegan (I added chicken but would be delicious with tofu or veggies) , gluten-free, and contain no preservatives. I decided to give it a try. And it was delicious!
Here’s what I did with it!
- 1 jar Bengali Coconut Cardamom Simmer Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 new potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 cup pink crimson lentils (you can use any type of lentil you have!)
- 2 large boneless, skinless Organic Chicken Breasts, cut into 1-2" cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat Coconut Oil in a large skillet.
- Add onions and garlic and saute for a few minutes until onions are softened.
- Add lentils and toss to coat.
- Add chicken and potatoes.
- Toss all together and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add sauce and simmer until all ingredients are cooked through (for the chicken and potatoes, it took about 20 minutes).
- Stir in Cilantro and serve.
- I served it over organic brown rice with cumin
Heat Coconut Oil in a large skillet. Saute onions and garlic for a few minutes until onions are softened. Add lentils and toss to coat. Next, add the chicken and the potatoes. Toss all together and cook for 5 minutes. Add sauce and simmer until all ingredients are cooked through (for the chicken and potatoes, it took about 20 minutes). Stir in Cilantro and serve.
I served it over organic brown rice with cumin
You can get the simmer sauces and various farmers market and retailers. Click here for more info!